People often discuss and use the three-dimensional views of structures to get a clearer image. But the opposite is equally useful. Often it is instructive to convert wireframe three-dimensional images into 2D images with the help of a process called types of 3D Rendering software
Image credits: portlandbathrepair.com
1. What Is 3D Rendering
3D rendering is done on image data stored inside a computer which is in 3 dimensions. 3D rendering is usually used to create two-dimensional images of landscape architecture or buildings. To correctly depict the view in two dimensions, a particular perspective needs to be used for 3D rendering. Apart from the normal representation of the image, other variants are also possible. These variants could be specific lighting, texture, or even motion blur effects — this helps to make the rendered image more realistic.
Image credits: news.com.au
2. Types of 3D Rendering
There are usually three ways of doing 3D rendering – wireframe, surface, and solid. Each modeling type uses a different method for constructing 3D renders to 3D models. Editing methods vary in their effect on the different model types. Therefore, it is always best to stick to any one style of rendering and not combine them.
A wireframe model uses a skeletal description of a real object which is in three dimensions. A wireframe model contains no surfaces at all. It consists only of points and lines which are joined together by curves that cover the shape of the object. Wireframe models can be created by positioning planar objects anywhere in a three-dimensional space. There are some three-dimensional wireframe objects which have continuous line types. The 3D rendering artist needs to draw and position every object separately independently. That is the reason wireframe rendering usually takes the longest time to complete.
Image credits: pinterest.com
A more elegant method is surface modeling. This process accurately defines the surface as well as the edges of a three-dimensional object that needs to be rendered that also work in panorama, 360 degree & virtual reality. Although it is a different process compared to the wireframe process, it also uses a mesh. This mesh is a polygonal mesh with planar faces. This limits the accuracy of the depiction of curvilinear surfaces.
Image credits: eyeem.com
The use of solid modeling does the most convenient type of 3D quick as a wink rendering. This process starts by using the elementary geometric shapes in three dimensions. You will encounter boxes, cones, cylinders, spheres, wedges, and concentric circles in donut shapes. Once these are mastered, then two or more such shapes are combined. These produce more complicated shapes and give rise to complex architecture. Some experts drag a 2D object on a fixed path or make it rotate around a fixed axis as well. You can also create solids by sweeping a 2D object along a path or revolving it about an axis.
3. Ways to Master 3D Rendering
3D interior designs or walkthroughs would fall flat on their faces if the rendering is not done correctly. Although there are several good real time 3D rendering services available, you need to yourself ensure that the following things are kept in mind:
- Start small – Like we mentioned while describing solid modelling, you should start with basic shapes and falls first. Once the basic structure has been agreed upon, then you could mix and match multiple shapes to get more complex patterns. An elegant rendering would get the main shape right first, and then go on to detailing.
- Let There Be Intelligent Light – A god architectural render cannot be accomplished unless the play of light and shadow is intelligently used. Poor use of light can ruin a good view in a flash. But a good 3D rendering artist can create a great result by using light and shade well. Many renderers swear by the three-point lighting system, which involves a combination of the main light, filler light and backlight.
- Try using a wider range of shades – Between the two extremes of black and white, there is a wide range of shades which lend body to the overall visualisation. The greater the number of tones used, the better would be the output. The farther the tone of the material colour is from black and white, the more accurate would the rendering look.
- Better realistic than over the top – 3D renderers often get tempted to use lights and colours to the extent that they feel would attract the viewer. But it has been seen that a realistic treatment gets better results.
- Layering and textures – A well done 3D rendering would utilise different textures and layouts of the rooms. If the view has too few dimensions or layers, it will look more like a photograph than a professionally done render.
Image credits: artstation.com
4. Latest Developments in 3D Rendering Software
More and more rendering software packages are relying on building information modeling (BIM), which allows the package to use intelligent information to provide a very realistic render. Many packages have readymade images for some of the oft-required images, like chairs, tables, plants and even animals you can use to depict pets.
You would already expect basic shapes like lines curves, circles and arcs from your interior 3D rendering software. But the advanced packages also provide the option of using free-form three-dimensional solids. With several packages, you have the option of adding a touch of innocence with the superhero animations of Avatar, Spiderman, Matrix etc., which are popular with adults and kids alike. Some packages are also incorporating elements of artificial intelligence into the software so that it can preempt the next steps of the renderer and readies itself for that view.
Disclaimer: The information contained in this website is for general information purposes only. All logos/softwares/company names are registered trademarks of the respective companies and Foyr has no associations, connections or affiliations with any of the softwares or companies mentioned on this website. All views written here are personal views of the independent writer. If you notice any infringement or copyright violations please write to us at firstname.lastname@example.org